Monday, July 13, 2009

Who Needs a Kitchen?

I am beginning to embrace this whole no kitchen-thing, probably because it will be relatively short-lived (I hope). Last night's dinner was quite tasty and colorful, if I do say so myself.
Grilled chicken breasts paired with honeydew salsa, and a side of corn on the cob. On a paper plate, of course. Everything--prep, cooking, table setting, cleaning up--takes longer than usual, and we are producing an appalling amount of trash what with all paper plates/cups/utensils. I'm sorry, Earth--but soapstone countertops and inset cabinets were worth it; I'm sure you will agree. I will do penance (I am a former school spelling bee champion and I actually had to look up the spelling of this word, which definitely says something about me) by composting more regularly come August.

The cabinets arrive tomorrow--I hope tonight won't be as bad as Christmas Eve, where each year I find myself wide awake pre-dawn, silently screaming for the rest of my family to WAKE UP ALREADY, DON'T YOU KNOW THERE ARE SPECIAL THINGS DOWNSTAIRS?? Somehow my children pick Christmas morning to sleep in; it's maddening (to me). Sam has already informed me that he will sleep just fine tonight. Bah humbug. I'm going to revel in my excitement for now, and I hope the cabinet delivery man sets his alarm, because he doesn't want to go up against a mother of three without a kitchen who is determined to keep this project running on schedule.

1 comment:

  1. Grilled chicken with honeydew salsa. How imaginative! And it looks great.

    I've been madly in love with Annie for twenty years. I will always love her.

    ReplyDelete