Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Bundeena to Cronulla (Weekend, Part Two)

Being the cruel parents we are, Sam and I chortled wickedly as we forced our children into the car, ripping them from their beach paradise at Wattamolla (or at least that's how they'll tearfully relay it to their therapists twenty years from now).  We drove a short 15 minutes down the road to Bundeena, a cute town with an art trail held on the first Sunday of every month.  We didn't have time to explore the art trail, because we had our sights on the ferry.
The Curranulla ferry that runs between Bundeena and Cronulla is the oldest commuter ferry in Australia.  Cronulla is a beachside southern suburb of Sydney, set on peninsulas that jut out into the water creating plenty of space for gorgeous seaside homes.
A home perched above carved-out rock steps that wind their way down through greenery to the awaiting boat on a private dock in the sea?  Yep, I could be happy there.   One passenger commented that it would be quite a lot of work to keep all those windows clean; I had a hard time conjuring up an image of the homeowner lugging her teetery ladder out of the garage and reaching with a spray bottle in one hand and a squeegee in the other, because an image of a woman with freshly manicured hands delicately clasping a steaming cappuccino while telling her assistant to call and schedule the window cleaning kept jumping to the forefront of my brain.
I pulled out a crumpled receipt and jotted down a quick note to self regarding a sure path to riches (and thus my future seaside home in Cronulla): Purchase Lottery Tickets.  After I underlined each word twice to make it look more official, I felt pretty good about my financial planning efforts.

Then I looked down at my own unmanicured nails, and across at this face that I could stare at all day every day and never be bored, studying each square inch and marveling at his beauty, and figured I already had won the lottery.  Being a mother three times over is a big win in my book.

Months ago, I had purchased a LivingSocial deal for the Cronulla Pie Shop, so we headed there for a snack before wandering around a bit.  The town has tons of the kind of shops that I'd like to wander in and out of on my own or with a friend, but not with the family in tow.


The rain started again on the ferry ride back, which was just fine.  I had my sunny weekend day, which will be enough to get me geared up for another week of what is predicted to be wet weather.

1 comment: