Sunday, December 16, 2012

One Morning in Bangkok

Any way you slice it, wrangling 6 suitcases, 3 backpacks, a laptop bag, a car seat, a straw beach bag, and three kids is not the way to begin a vacation.  That's the last complaining I'll do about it, though, because if that's my biggest problem I know I'm doing okay.  We arrived in Bangkok at the auspicious time of 1am and 2 hours later, we miraculously found our hotel by happenstance because our taxi driver had absolutely no idea how to get there.  I'm not quite sure what the twelve dangly tchotchkes that hung from the ceiling of the driver's side were for, but I'd bet they weren't directional guidance charms.

It was great fun and only slightly bizarre to meet up with my mom at the Bangkok hotel, and after crashing for a few hours' rest we were game to explore.  We had only just stepped out of the hotel when a durian cart caught our eye.

This is Sam telling the woman that he wants just a little. (she gave him a lot)


I have always wanted to try durian but the smell has made me a little wary.  The fruit was just fine, although I don't think any of us would put it at the top of our list.


Just down the next street was a woman freshly squeezing pomegranate juice...yes please.

Thailand is a feast for the senses.



I had (and still have) no idea what these were, but they looked like works of art.


And they were delicious.

We stopped at a temple and watched people making offerings of food to monks.







After a quick glimpse of Bangkok, it was time to get to the airport to head up north to Chiang Mai.

3 comments:

  1. Love your pictures. I took my two boys to Bangkok in 2009. We went to the same temple and tried durian too--it was an amazing trip. I'll be checking back to read more about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eager to read about your trip. I live in Bangkok, but I haven't stayed at an elephant camp like that.

    Incidentally, that was jackfruit in the picture up there. Durian smells similar (but worse if you ask me!! :)) and doesn't separate into such small pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Thailand is just magical! I'm trying to convince Mr A that we need a family trip there, pronto. I think the girls would love it. (Your Mum is a total glamour puss, btw. Lucky you, swimming in that gene pool!)

    ReplyDelete